Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Caramel Swirl Brownies



I have died and gone to brownie heaven!! I am pretty sure these are the best brownies ever.

My go to brownie recipe has just been replaced. These turned out deliciously fudgy with the quintessential cracked brownie top. The really special part for me was biting into the brownies and finding the caramel swirls. Every single person I shared them with raved about how yummy they were.

Three things you should probably do
*eat any leftover caramel with a spoon!
*for prettier brownies wait for them to cool before cutting them up (I was impatient needless to say)
*have a glass of milk handy..


For the Brownies (based on recipe from How To Eat A Cupcake)

115 grams salted butter (cubed)
170 grams dark chocolate
¼ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1 cup walnuts
1 cup top-n-fill caramel

To make the brownies- grease a 20 cm (8 inch) square pan and line with baking paper. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees c (350 f).


Place the broken up chocolate and butter pieces in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the butter and chocolate until smooth, checking and stirring around every 30 seconds.



Remove from the microwave. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking until combine.


Stir in the sugar and vanilla. Gradually mix in the flour and stir in the nuts.

Spread half the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Dollop of 1/3 of the caramel evenly spaced over the mix. Swirl the caramel slightly with a knife.


Spread with the remaining brownie batter. Spoon the remaining caramel evenly over the top and swirl with a knife.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes (I baked mine for 45) until the centre feels slightly firm. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.

I hope you love them as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm I love brownies and caramel might have to try this out soon.

    ReplyDelete